Old April 24th 09, 12:00 PM posted to comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.arch.storage
kkkk

Default Unimpressive performance of large MD raid

lid wrote:
U comp.arch.storage kkkk prica:
I haven't tested RAID6 on 9650SE, but have tested RAID5 on 9650SE (older
generation on PCI-X), and IIRC got around 250MB/s write from 15x160GB
Hitachi 7200rpm SATA drives... So, with this 9650SE I expect at least around
350MB/s from 16 drives (today's SATA)...

What filesystem and operating system? This is important...

Windows XP, NTFS...

I suspected that. I suspect NTFS is much faster than ext3, it will
probably be like XFS in Linux. (and also more unsafe e.g. in case of
power losses, just like XFS) Speed depends among other things on how
paranoid is the journal behaviour.