Old June 26th 03, 12:58 AM
bill davidsen

In article ,
V-man wrote:

| On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Tim Cunnings wrote:
|
| Who really thinks that consoles will continue to be as popular as they
| are now in the future?. I suppose the appeal is there for the types who
| want a quick, no hassles system with guaranteed compatibility, but after
| buying a PS2 I won't bother with consoles again.
|
| I think that consoles were more popular back in the 80's.
| If you have a computer, you no longer have a need for them unless if you
| are nuts about a certain game only available on the console.

You have half the answer, by having the game on THEIR hardware sales of
the hardware increases. By having more hardware out games go to that
hardware first. By going to that hardware first more people want that
hardware.

Yes that's circular.

| I have seen XBox's blue screen and putting up messages about hard disk
| needing a scan. Basically, it's a PC.

Oh yes, you can run Linux on it.

| Quite frankly ALL the current 3 big names on the market have products
| that are looking pretty dated already. Sony are talking about bringing a
| PS2.5 type product to market because their next product is years away,
| and the PS2 is basically past its used by date graphically speaking. The
| best console on the market, the Xbox, is also pretty dated relative to
| the performance offered by the current crop of PC graphics cards.
|
| Yes, they certainly are dated, but where are the games that are suppose
| to take advantage of these shader capablities? It's been a while there
| hasnt been anything. I suppose they will be popping up by the end of the
| year.

One advantage of the console is that it's a known environment, no o/c,
no funky almost-compatible video, etc.

| How can consoles really compete long term in a market where the graphics
| card guys work on 6 month product cycles and the console guys are taking
| YEARS to develop next gen products that are dated before they are released?.
|
| Oh they will compete. Maybe next round, MS will be the leader. It depends
| who markets first and who has the best games.

We agree, MS can afford to pay for games to be written for Xbox first
(or only).

--
Bill Davidsen CTO, TMR Associates
this we should do freely and generously.