Old June 25th 03, 03:25 PM
Michael Dauria

"Tim Cunnings" wrote in message

Yousuf Khan wrote:
This rumour has been floating around for sometime now, but this time

it's
being put out by a different source other than the Inquirer or Register.

:-)

http://www.marke****ch.com/news/yhoo...o&dist=myyahoo

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L2FD32BE4

Yousuf Khan

Who really thinks that consoles will continue to be as popular as they
are now in the future?. I suppose the appeal is there for the types who
want a quick, no hassles system with guaranteed compatibility, but after
buying a PS2 I won't bother with consoles again.

I think they will continue to be popular. They are cheap and easy to
operate, go over to the ATI or Nvidia newsgroup and watch people complain
about games not working properly. You also have to consider that developers
do not use the latest features of the newest whiz bang graphic cards on the
PC. Its really not worth it to code things into a PC version of a game that
only a few people will be able to use. PCs also run a lot other things in
the background so although consoles may not have as much memory or be as
popular they can perform reasonably well because they aren't running all the
different services or drivers that a normal PC would.

Quite frankly ALL the current 3 big names on the market have products
that are looking pretty dated already. Sony are talking about bringing a
PS2.5 type product to market because their next product is years away,
and the PS2 is basically past its used by date graphically speaking. The
best console on the market, the Xbox, is also pretty dated relative to
the performance offered by the current crop of PC graphics cards.

How can consoles really compete long term in a market where the graphics
card guys work on 6 month product cycles and the console guys are taking
YEARS to develop next gen products that are dated before they are

released?.

Tim