Old August 1st 10, 07:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default need to replace battery- do I need to write down everything in sys. setup?

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in :

Hi!

That's news to me. I never thought you could print while in BIOS
screens because print drivers haven't loaded up yet. I'll have to
try it. I've always written down every BIOS setting when necessary,
esp. when resurecting someone else's machine.

You can only do this if there is a "real" printer attached to the
*parallel port*. USB printers and printers that don't have enough
intelligence onboard to print without hand-holding from a print driver
won't work at all for this trick.

But if you have an older inkjet or almost any laser printer that
understands PCL input without a special driver, and it's connected to
the printer port, this does usually work.

You may have to issue a "form feed" command to your printer if it
seems to do something but the page with the results doesn't actually
come out.

William

Ah, I see. I have a LaserJet 6L (still going strong), connected via
parallel port to my Dell 4550. I'll try it. It does read PCL.