Old September 3rd 06, 09:07 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
the dog from that film you saw

Default The Coming Combo Of The CPU And GPU, Ray Tracing Versus Rasterization, And Why Billions Of Dollars Is At Stake

"jon" wrote in message
om...
Using ray tracing would be awesome. I use it all the time in lightwave 3d,
but only would be usable in gaming when computer cpu's reach 1000's of GHZ
in speed, trust me on this one. One frame of a complex object can take 30
seconds to 2 minutes or more to render. Intel will win the battle in the
end once their chips break the 3 ghz barrier and reach the 1000's. I heard
rumors of them working on that right now.

i remember back in the days of the amiga when a magazine i read would print
great raytraced pictures only to reveal that the amiga had taken 7 days to
render that single frame.

--
Gareth.
A french man who wanted a castle threw his cat into a pond.