Old June 18th 14, 12:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark F[_2_]

Default "Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 16:09:21 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

On 17/06/2014 1:39 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Lynn McGuire" wrote in message
"Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...f-a-long-time/

I've got four of the Intel 5xx series here in the
office with no failures. Three of them are over a
year old.

A year isnt very long.

Another factor to consider it how long the data is retained;
consider both the case of un referenced data when the power
is on and all data when the power is off.

(As the memory gets worn out the data retention time decreases.
So un referenced data can be lost. Most, if not all, current
devices will automatically check and refresh things if the
are powered up, but powered down retention time might
have originally been 15 years or more, but less than 1 year on
a used device.)

It is if they are being torture tested during that entire year.

I've had one of my drives for over 425 days, and it's "only" had 11TB of
writes to it (and it's only a 240GB drive). So it's nothing compared to
the 700TB to 1PB of writes that's happened to these drives.

Yousuf Khan