Old May 29th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers

Default Need printer advise

On Mon, 29 May 2006 02:41:51 GMT, Bob Allison
wrote:

I have narrowed my printer choices down to 2.
1.Epson R220
2. Epson 1280

The R220 uses dye ink. Is this a "permanent" ink? By that I mean is it
water resistant, or will it smear if it gets wet? I will be printing photos
and CD/DVD's for self I would like to know the ink won't run if it gets
wet (within reason) My HP used to run if you sneezed near it.

No, it's not permanent. It's water resistant on Epson's photo paper,
but not on plain paper or on CDs, though it will become more water
resistant once the CD has dried for a few days.

The 1280 on the other hand uses pigment ink. Is there a print head clogging
problem with this ink?

Are there any printable CD's or DVD's that I should avoid? Any better than
most?

TIA for your opinion

Pigment ink is more waterproof than dye ink, but the 1280 uses their
photographic pigment inks, and not the 'acrylic enamel' type in the
DuraBrite printers. It may not be as waterproof, and will dry slower,
but will be more water resistant than the R220 ink. It's also probably
less likely to clog up because of this.

I prefer Verbatim printable DVDs more for quality than for the print
surface, but you shouldn't have a problem with any brand with the
Epson printers. The Verbatim Silver Printable CD-Rs are apparently not
compatible with Canon printers.

Office Depot has stopped carrying Verbatim printables, unfortunately.
Now they have Maxell, and I'm not sure about the quality of those. If
you're lucky, you may be able to find the 100 stack of Verbatim
Printable DVD-Rs on clearance at your local Office Depot. Mine put
them down to $45 from $90. I have about 300 now, but when I restock
I'll be more likely to go to BJs Wholesale Club, which has 50 Fuji
printable DVD-Rs in jewel cases for $30.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.