Old August 16th 03, 08:41 PM
Antithesis

"Burton Peltier" wrote in message
Just looking for some validation/opinions that this is an ok way of doing
this ....

First, the amount of data is small - several years (3 or 4 I think) are
currently on 60 floppies.

Critical data is mostly MS Office type - Access DB, Excel, and Word .

The main PC is fairly new Dell with XP (Home edition I think) and it has a
CD Writer.

The main PC has a DSL connection to the Internet.

Note: Only 1 other PC and there is no critical data on it and it is NOT
networked/connected to the other PC.

Office personnel wants data backed up automatically and is willing to

ALWAYS
save to "My Documents" or 1 folder. And, they like the idea of being able

access the backed up data on another (home) PC that is also fairly new

(not
sure the details right now).

Backup Process/Proposal:

1) Since the data is small, thinking of just using a memory stick for
backup - or an external USB hard drive, but the drive seems like overkill.
2) Set up a scheduled job to run a simple copy command and run it nightly.
3) Manually run once a month a backup to CD writer (for offsite storage

just
in case).

Questions:

1) Is there some utility that comes with XP to do backups and schedule it

?
I don't see one so far.
2) Someone suggested using an Internet backup company to back up to the
Internet. Does anyone have experience with this?

I definitely wouldn't use an company to perform offsite backups with as
small of a job as you need.

Why not just use the burner all the time? You could keep backing up to the
same CD in folders according to date until that CD is full, then move on to
another one.
http://www.ourstrangeworld.com