Old September 7th 06, 06:00 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Carlo Razzeto

Default Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot

"willbill" wrote in message
people will go where a) the performance is
and/or b) price/performance/heat(lackof) is

we've all been assuming that P4 is dead,
and that Pentium M is Intel's future

this power reduction with P4 makes me wonder

i also note that Pentium M and Core 2 Duo are
both seen as generation 6 (by www.sandpile.org;
see 3rd line under "impl": PM and Core)

whereas they see P4 as generation 7 (3rd line
under "impl": P4)

not that "7" means it's inherently better

Considering the performance advantage Core 2 has over the P4 (and even
Athlon 64 which wipes the floors with the P4) I doubt anyone other than
those people who don't want to switch out an MB quite yet are going to care.
From all points, netburst is looking like exactly everyone said it was when
it first came out, a mistake. A big one at that, considering how much Intel
has lost to AMD durring the reign of netburst.

Carlo