Old April 28th 08, 04:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
Ben Myers

Default Compaq Presario V5306US and memory speed

Laptop and desktop capabilities are not directly comparable. Laptops are very
much more closed-end systems, with extremely limited possibilities for improving
CPU and memory performance. The HP web site says PC2700 memory, so that's what
it is.

You can do your own research on the motherboard chipset to find out whether it
supports faster memory in combination with a CPU with a faster front side bus.
If it does, then you have the possibility of installing a faster CPU with PC3200
memory. Frankly, CPU upgrades of laptops are not to be taken lightly.

You can also find out if HP makes/made similar models with different CPUs and/or
memory.

HP's technical information on the Presario V5306US is a little sparse, to state
it kindly. The HP web site does not say what the motherboard chipset is, nor
does it give a clue about "families" of laptop computers sharing the same
motherboard... Ben Myers

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:06:42 -0800, "Sept1967" sept1967@peoplepc.(Erase)com
wrote:

So,

ATI Xpress200m chipset, and AMD Turion ML-32 (socket 754) cant run at
PC3200?

There are no memory settings to change in the BIOS. I know its not dual
channel. But I expected that the hardwre was made long after PC3200 was
standard, it could run at full speed.
My old Athlon64 3800 runs PC3200 (AMD has the memory controller on the
chip, not the motherboard)

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
.. .
Processor clock speed and motherboard design govern the actual speed at
which
memory operates, not the memory speed itself. And, of course, the memory
speed
needs to meet the minimum speed required by the motherboard
specifications. I
really doubt that there is any way for you to increase the speed... Ben
Myers

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:35:23 -0800, "Sept1967"
sept1967@peoplepc.(Erase)com
wrote:

On the following laptop, is there any way (or does it even support)
running
PC3200 memory at PC3200 speed? I have 2x 1GB PC3200 SODIMMS (confirmed by
CPUZ). But it runs at PC2700/DDR333. Even with a single 1GB stick, its at
DDR333.

Compaq Presario V5306US
ATI XPress 200m
Turion ML-32

Latest BIOS Release Date: 2007-03-05 Version: F.54