Old April 23rd 07, 07:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Nik Simpson

Default bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
willbill wrote:
bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

i've come across connection issues with my (admittedly limited) use
of SATA drives, both data and power, most recently power.

what an aggrevation!

are others seeing this?

Yes, I think there is a special place in hell for the idiot who designed
the SATA connectors on the disk.
How strange when below you just say they work utterly fine when used as intended.

I've given up, and when I build a PC I install a drive housing that occupies
3x5.25" bays and gives me four hot plug SATA bugs. Because of the way
this is designed I've not had a single problem with power or drive connectors
since doing this.
Gee, what a surprise: you are using them as intended.

So you're saying, that all the PC solutions out there where the
power/data connectors go directly into the drive as opposed to a
backplane are not using SATA drives the way they are intended.

I did?
I said that *you* were using the drives that *you* bought
(with backplane type power connectors) as 'intended'.
I said nothing about *all* Sata drives.
In the other post I specifically said to use drives with regular
molex power connector if you are not using them in servers or
other systems that use backplane type connectors or cages.

If that's the case,

So obviously not.

then perhaps you could provide a cite for this claim,
since pretty much every commercially available PC with
SATA drives are configured with direct connections

from the motherboard to the drives with no intervening backplane.

Please try and work on your read apprehension.

First, if you want get all superior, you might want to look up
"apprehension" and "comprehension" in a dictionary!

Second you seem to be claiming that the PC systems from vendors like
DELL etc all use the 4-pin power connector (since they don't come with
SATA backplanes), and if they don't then they are not using drives the
way they are intended! I must say that hasn't been my experience. Also,
I've bought a whole lot of SATA drives in the last few years and I've
yet to see any indication on the box as to which type of power connector
I'm getting. Surely if the SATA drive vendors intended this distinction
they would make it clear on the packaging, which they don't.

Personally I think you are pulling this out of somewhere south of your
navel, and that drives with 4-pin power connectors are there for people
who have PSUs that don't have SATA-style power connectors. By the way if
you are right about this, care to explain why modern PC power suppliers
have SATA style power connectors?

--
Nik Simpson