Old April 25th 04, 09:49 AM
Kevin Lawton

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...150-013&depa=0
| that I got stuck with in this bundle http://tinyurl.com/2lhnv, and
| the fact that I have no chasis fan and a low RPM PSU fan are not a
| good combo for keeping this thing cool. I'm going to build this
| motherboard chip and cpu cooler into a different computer and sell
| it. I had meant to get a nForce2 based A7N8X-X but accidentally
| ordered a Via based A7V8X-X (darned similar model numbers). Now that
| I know how hot it's running, I'll make sure to throw a chasis fan in
| the case it goes into.

It sounds like you really haven't got sufficient airflow through the case -
maybe a gentle breeze through parts of it, but not throughout the case.
Cooling is primarily dependent on the temp difference between the heatsinks
and the air - if the air keeps still over a heatsink and warms up you're in
trouble. You need a gentle regular change of air right through the case.
If all you currently have is the PSU fan, I would suggest adding an intake
fan at the bottom front of the case - and put a filter on it as well. This
will give you a flow of clean air right through the case, from bottom-front
to top-rear which should help cool everything. At the moment, I wouldn't be
surprised if your hard drive gets a bit hot after a few hours running as
well.
The rationale behind using a filtered intake, as opposed to just fitting an
exhaust fan at the rear of the case, is that you'll know that cool clean air
is coming into the case and blowing out through all the little holes in it.
With an additional exhaust fan, you'd be sucking dirty air through those
little holes and the dirt will just eventually deposit on the heatsinks and
stop them working properly.
Your CPU seems to be running reasonably hot, so if the temp doesn't come
down acceptably after the front intake fan is fitted then I'd suggest
attending to that next. Obviously a good quality HSF is going to help here,
using a small amount of therrmal compound of course. Also worth checking
that cables aren't obstructing the air flow around the CPU & HSF and
creating a 'hot spot'.
Kevin.