Old February 18th 16, 01:19 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jolly Roger[_3_]

Default Cheap USB flash drives -- (was USB Flash Drive Tester)

Ant wrote:
I think I have a somewhat new 2 GB USB flash
drive that is getting corrupted FAT32 files and need to know if it is a
bad drive or not. Mac OS X's Disk Utility and Windows' chkdsk tools had
to repair them and found tons of corruptions.

Stop purchasing crappy cheap-o USB flash sticks. ; )

Actually, it was free from Vizio. I guess they used cheap stuff! :/
Anyways, I found my local copy though. I ran its test and no problems.
Weird. I formatted it and will try again later.

FYI since I'm playing with it for curiousity and fun. I finally got
results (e.g., multiple computers and their OSes not seeing the drive,
Flash Drive/Card Tester v1.14 showing errors in its tests:
http://pastebin.ca/3375304 ... I find it interesting that it is not
always reproducable. Sometimes it is perfectly fine, but other times it
is just bad. :/

Oh, I forgot to mention these observations as well:

1. Wiggling it in USB ports makes the media go away. I checked the
flash drive and it seems secured. Maybe the inside is lose? My other
drives don't do this like my very old 128 MB Sandisk Cruzer drive. :P

2. On its cover cap, there is a tiny circular sticker showing CE(logo as
shown in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking ) FCC(logo as shown in
https://transition.fcc.gov/files/log...k-on-white.jpg )
RoHS (http://www.rohsguide.com/ ). China. No other interesting details
like from Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite)'s system information's storage
information (generic -- brand name or anything).

Those sounds cheap, eh? Speaking of cheap, how does one know if they
are quality cheap or good? Is there an easy way?

For kicks, I e-mailed Vizio about it. They know nothing about it. Haha.

A quick web search for CFGear shows they are a cheap promotional flash
drive supplier, advertising "put your own logo" flash products and often
giving away samples for free. Is that not enough of a hint? ; )

JR