Old February 9th 06, 08:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Deskpro EN 6266 CPU Upgrade

Nick Le Lievre wrote:

Actually I'm wrong ACPI won't work under Windows XP but APM will. I
know becuase I had Windows 2000 on this machine for a while and APM
worked but ACPI didn't as the os installed as a Standard PC - in the
last ROMPAQ which I just updated too it includes official support for
Windows 2000 so I guess future installs of Windows 2000 would be in
ACPI mode. But APM under Windows XP will do the job ie power off the
machine at shutdown - not a big deal but nice. ESS1869 drivers for
Windows XP are available at www.esstech.com everything else is
supported by XP.

Of course there is also the risk that I might fry the CPU by cooling the CPU
passively using the Coolermaster Standard Sized heatsink instead of using
the supplied CPU Fan or trying to detach the heatsink to use the foxconn one
attached to the P2 266.

I could get an adapter if push comes to shove for a couple of pounds if
things get too hot. But according to tomshardware P3 Coppermine (and
predessors) has a cut off point when a CPU gets too hot and the system just
hangs without damaging the CPU so if that happens I`ll have to buy an CPU
fan adapter.

The AMD CPU (of a few year ago at least) don't have this protection so they
fry if too hot - tomshardware tested by running the Intel vs AMD CPU with no
heatsink/fan whilst running Quake3.

So its virtually impossible for me to fry a £ 6.40 CPU

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well