Old February 9th 06, 08:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Deskpro EN 6266 CPU Upgrade

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
So this
600 at 2.0v may only last a couple of years under high usage which
I don't do anyway...

I ran SiSandra on the machine with original BIOS and it said max CPU
500mhz + now I`ve updated to the latest Rompaq released 22/08/1999
and now SiSandra says max CPU 950mhz + so that kinda confirms that a
Slot 1 100mhz Coppermine will run on this board. We already knew
that
1.0ghz P3 Slot 1 worked but the question is what voltage will it
supply. I`ll check SiSandra for that info when I have my P3 600
installed.

I think it must run at 2.0v becuase on 22/08/1999 there were no
Coppermine CPU available and Compaq probably envisaged Intel would
stick with P3 Katmai Slot 1 CPU @ 2.0v up to 950mhz + what it does
prove is that my board now officially supports fsb/multipliers to run
950mhz + CPU whereas the old BIOS supported 500mhz + whether it would
of supported 600mhz I don't know but it certainly will now. The
voltage issue is probably why Compaq official max is P3 600mhz Katmai
although they will run Coppermine at 2.0v.

Of course when I say fsb/multiplier I mean multiplier becuase the fsb
will always be 100mhz max. I`ll get the "Unsupported CPU F1 to
continue." message becuase it won't recognise the Coppermine core
officially.

I found the PC dumped with a modem and monitor and although I had to
replace the 3.2gb hard drive with a £ 6.50 6.4gb the £ 6.40 P3 600
100mhz fsb upgrade will make it a very useable Windows XP machine
(although the ACPI/APM won't work) but it has full driver support.

It even had 128mb SDRAM installed and I think originally they came
with 64mb a friend gave me an extra 64mb he found dumped so I got
192mb in there (and both sticks are PC100 +)

So for £ 12.90 I have a P3 600 192mb 6.4gb Modem CD/Floppy on eBay
they start at around £ 18.50 delivered for P3 450 64mb 6.4gb
CD/Floppy no modem. I normally build my own PCs out of standard
hardware but my PCs aren't available at the moment and there's a nice
feeling to taking something out of the trash and upgrading
unexpectedly (as its a crappy Compaq I thought) it to a reasonable
spec for as little £ as possible.

I know this can work for other Compaqs of similar age which may also
have the 440bx chipset and P2 266 - P2 450 an upgrade to 1ghz + maybe
desirable if you like the machine so much you still use it in this
day and age.

Actually I'm wrong ACPI won't work under Windows XP but APM will. I know
becuase I had Windows 2000 on this machine for a while and APM worked but
ACPI didn't as the os installed as a Standard PC - in the last ROMPAQ which
I just updated too it includes official support for Windows 2000 so I guess
future installs of Windows 2000 would be in ACPI mode. But APM under Windows
XP will do the job ie power off the machine at shutdown - not a big deal but
nice. ESS1869 drivers for Windows XP are available at www.esstech.com
everything else is supported by XP.

--
And to all those opposed...