Old May 1st 20, 08:56 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul[_28_]

Default Why is this folder so slow?

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 4/28/2020 3:14 PM, Paul wrote:
The one I was looking at the other day, said that it didn't
handle stuff in the News folder specifically.

As for the availability of the MailboxStore option in the
Server settings, the claim is that you must use this
immediately when the installation of Thunderbird is
brand new. In my experiments yesterday, I tried to "clean out"
my profile, and tried not to leave any .msf files, then
set the prefs.js with the maildirstore preference, and
that *still* wasn't enough to make it work. I'm going
to have to nuke the damn thing and start from scratch,
to see if I can get it to work.

One other weirdness from yesterdays experiment, is after
I was finished with my failed experiment, I took the ZIP
file holding my unbroken profile, and started to restore
it to my SSD drive. I was greeted by write rates of arounf
2MB/sec on my SSD. It took forever to restore the fleet
of .msf (file per box) style files. And when I opened
Task Manager, MsMpEng was railed on one core, scanning
everything being written into the profile area. I've done
plenty of other stuff on the computer, where it doesn't
do that with quite the same level of venom. (If I unpack
an .ova on a scratch drive, it does that at several hundred
megabytes per second. As if MsMpEng didn't care.)

Paul

Oh, it's a good thing I kept reading the replies, as it looks like you
already tried what I was about to try. So it kept using the same file
format as before, even after nuking it and starting from scratch?

I would refrain from working in this direction.

Sure, if you have backed up the various folders for TBird
before trying it (like I did when testing), then great.
Just don't do it, without having something to restore from.

It's pretty weird for a function to be existing in TBird
and presumably to be absorbing test time from release to
release, and then be hobbling the usage of it with
inept controls.

If you pursue this line of reasoning, what will
happen is your headers will be stripped down to
the event horizon of the server (maybe six months
retention on a free server), and if you have
years of headers (where the MID won't fetch anything
if you click), those are the kinds of headers that
will disappear if you start over again. The headers
from ten years ago, aren't on the server, and cannot
be regenerated from a small server - messing around
will significantly damage your header history.

If the damn thing had a conversion function that
converted equally between the two formats, I might
have a different opinion about doing this. It's just
that this is a feature that doesn't appear finished.

Paul