Old July 31st 18, 05:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mike

Default Power Button Problems

On 7/30/2018 6:34 PM, GlowingBlueMist wrote:
On 7/30/2018 5:53 PM, wrote:
I have an Optiplex 360 that I cannot turn on because of a faulty power
button.

I have no idea how to repair this since I cannot get to the power
button, which is sandwiched in between the plastic case and a metal cage.

There is a small circuit board which a 20 pin cable(XT029) is attached
to and runs to the motherboard.

I cannot find the pinouts of the cable and was wondering if I can
disconnect the cable from the front PCB, would there be a way to
manipulate it to turn the PC on. (The audio in/out doesn't work on the
front of the computer anyway, and I'd only be losing those USB ports).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Yes you can unplug the two wires from the motherboard that connect to
the switch. You could wire up a replacement from any switch that is
normally open, like a doorbell button.

To test the switch connections on the motherboard first unplug the power
switch connector and then momentarily short the two pins together with a
screw driver. The motherboard should then power on normally if the
switch or wires to the switch is all that is bad.

IN the O360, there are several connectors on the board with the power
switch.
There's a ribbon cable about the size of a floppy cable that connects
to the motherboard.

Can't do what you suggest without knowing the pinout of that cable...
which could be easily determined by removing the one screw that
attaches the board to the chassis.

The actual switch is some distance from the button and actuated
by a rather flimsy plastic linkage.

FWIW, the 360 power switch makes a rather loud "click" when you activate it.
Absent that click might indicate a stuck switch or broken plastic actuator.

I unscrewed the board in a Optiplex 320, same board, but I couldn't
see how the power switch actuator attached without removing the floppy.
I gave up.