Old July 17th 19, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing (not future-proof, no 10 GBe)

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 19:13:07 -0400, Paul
wrote:

It's not venture capital, right now it's technology.

Disks are now big enough, the ratio between size and
sustained speed is no longer working.

This is the reason nobody will buy the 40TB drive that
writes at around 300MB/sec. It takes too many hours
to back up (violates the backup window).

This is one reason Seagate is working on a dual-armed
hard disk, with two separate sets of heads. It's a means
of doubling the speed of the read channel, without
modifying the way the heads read/write the disk platter.
This will allow a HDD to match the sustained speed of
a SATA SSD.

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/13...tion_575px.jpg

For an SSD hard drive, once the capacity becomes huge,
then the I/O needs multiple channels or enhanced speed.

I have the same problem with large drives here - it
takes too long to do anything with them. Hours and hours.
It means your planning has to be flawless when using
them, because of the hours wasted if you make just
one mistake.

Of course. I didn't intend to mean, 40T at that expediency is,
according to where it's aimed at, less than venturesome in its own
right. Markets are all about cutting-edge speeds: trading instruments
within milliseconds. They're at advantage over the timer technician,
without near to a supercomputer to run from major exchanges, directly
through a major brokerage house and their facilities/equipment
(special trader privileges and special qualifications to challenge for
an day-trader operative seat). That so-called timer may do well to
better now consider tempering a hedged trade with more stops and puts
now, than from where computers have since taken trading.

Computers have always been, at least for me, about hours and hours of
patience, certainly made from enough mistakes prior, that won't work
any other way than to think them through thoroughly prior and plan for
unexpected contingencies. Murphy's Law on one's level of proficiency
or somesuch humility seems about right to me.

A 4T SSD is the biggest I've offhand seen for hugeness.