Old October 12th 03, 02:21 AM
HH

The laptop came with Windows Millenium, not 98. Very few Presarios support
W2K very well. Compaq only supports W2K on the 3-4 Presarios that came with
it preinstalled. XP would be a better choice.The unit came with 128MB. 64MB
was on the motherboard and a 64MB SODIMM in the memory slot. The slot can
take up to a 256MB SODIMM, for a max 320MB total.
HH

"EldredP" -OFF wrote in message
I'm trying to work on this laptop for a friend. I tried to load win2k,

and I
got an error about non-compliant BIOS for APCI. It suggested updating the
BIOS. I checked the website, downloaded and ran the flash update - same

error.
Will this thing just not run win2000?

But...in windows 98, booting gives me:
"While initializing device IOS
Windows protection error"

Trying to boot into safe mode gives:
"Unreliable XMS at 0320314A"

So it appears to me that it might be a memory issue as well. The laptop
doesn't have an extra RAM module - so could it be bad RAM on the system

board?
If so, how difficult is that to replace? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Eldred
--
Homepage - http://www.umich.edu/~epickett
Member