Old February 14th 07, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Default Heap of Obsolete Hardware

Robert Heiling wrote:
Grinder wrote:
My local public library has a pile of antiquated PCs. There might be a
couple of 486s in the pile, but suspect most are 386s. Since no one has
the courage to just discard these crappers, we've managed to find a
charity that will take any PC, "as long as it works."

Are you so sure that's the right thing to be doing to a charity? Are the people
at the charity knowledgeable about such things?

I was very clear to their rep about the generation of the machines. She
seemed to understand what I was saying and was unequivocal about wanting
the hardware.

If they expect to be able to
sell them to generate funds for the charity, they will be quickly disappointed.
If they expect to use them themselves, they will probably be similarly
disappointed. In the end, the charity will be the one paying the bill for the
disposal of hazardous waste.

It's my understanding that machines are essentially made available at
their resale shop, free for anyone who wants one.