Old December 10th 04, 02:06 PM
HH

Looking at the Compaq website, it appears XP is not supported on that old
laptop. It would run very slow even if driver support were offered. 192MB of
RAM (max on the 1670) is not enough for XP.
Stick with 98SE.
HH

"Chuck" wrote in message
news
Hello. Yesterday I decided to upgrade this laptop to win xp. The
upgrade went fine except for the touchpad and ps/2 port dying. I have
tried all the Synaptic drivers at Compaq and the Synaptic website but
to no avail. The Synaptic drivers won't install because they don't
see the touchpad. The Compaq drivers install but the pad doesn't
work. The mouse I attach to the PS/2 port is also not detected. When
I reverted to win 98se everything worked fine. Has anyone else had
this problem and know of a solution? Thanks in advance. Chuck