Old November 25th 04, 03:01 PM
Eddie Crismond

Ben Myers wrote:
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:14:05 -0500, Eddie Crismond wrote:

SNIP

RDRAM will continue to be more expensive than SDRAM or DDR for some time to
come. If anyone is manufacturing it any more, the quantities are small. Intel
was the prime supporter of RDRAM with its chipsets and belief that it was the
only way to fix the memory access bottleneck that inhibited faster system
performance. Then the Rambus company threw patent infringement lawsuits at
everyone (except Intel), and the entire industry soured on RDRAM. Intel saw the
disenchantment with RDRAM and the high price compared to SDRAM and stopped
designing RAMBUS chipsets in favor of today's DDR SDRAM.

So expect to pay a premium for RDRAM almost forever, or until demand drops way
down to almost zero, whichever happens first. The usual rule of thumb for most
memory these days is around $25 for 128MB. RDRAM can't be touched for that sort
of price... Ben Myers

Such a shame. This phenomenon makes upgrading PCs with these boards a
pain. But, as I am typing this message, I just thought of my niece, who
has a Gateway PC with an i850 chipset, which uses PC800 RDRAM. It
currently has 256MB, and Windows XP. If my sister decides she really
needs to play the Sims 2, and the Compaq just isn't cutting it, I can
give the RDRAM to my niece. Or keep the Compaq as a Linux test bed