Old November 25th 04, 12:25 AM
kony

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:03:37 -0500, Eddie Crismond
wrote:

The Sims2 should run on a 600Mhz system with enough RAM and a T&L video
card. How well is the question.

Quoted from this site...
http://thesims2.simshost.com/systemrqts/

/quote

The Sims™ 2 Minimum System Specs

If you have a T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM
(such as nVidia GeForce 2 or better or ATI Radeon 7200 or better) then
you need at least:

* 600 MHz P3 processor
* 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, or Windows 2000
* 128 MB RAM if Windows 98

If you have a non-T&L capable video card (such as TNT2 or Intel
Integrated) then you need at least:

* 1.5 GHz processor
* 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, or Windows 2000
* 128 MB RAM if Windows 98

/end quote

Well, Geforce 2 is not hardware T&L, Geforce 3 was the first
gen. to do that, so the GF3 should be substantially better
at making most of the slow CPU, but then obviously the video
card isn't so fast these days either. From what I vaguely
recall of that era system/video, a GF3 might be at least 60%
faster at typical games.

I realize this is the bare minimum. But I'm hoping other factors like
FSB, and the bandwidth of both the system memory and video memory, if
they are high, may be an advantage. Installing the less bloated Windows
98SE instead of 2000/XP may also be an advantage.

What do you mean by FSB and bandwidth?
A P3, even using Rambus, is still very slow in these
regards, it's not like it's making up any ground in those
areas. While Rambus memory has higher throughput, even
faster memory than yours uses still loses it's much of it's
edge due to higher latency.

This other site does suggest as you say, 800Mhz as the minimum CPU speed...
http://compsimgames.about.com/od/the...mrequireme.htm

/quote

If you have a T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM
then you need at least:

* 800 MHz processor
* 256 MB RAM if Windows XP
* 128 MB RAM if Windows 98, Windows ME, or Windows 2000
* At least 3.5 gigs of free hard drive space

If you have a non-T&L capable video card then you need at least:

* 2.0 GHz processor
* 256 MB RAM if Windows XP
* 128 MB RAM if Windows 98, Windows ME, or Windows 2000
* At least 3.5 gigs of free hard drive space

/end quote

I have a Dell System just sitting here with an 866Mhz P3 and 368MB of
SDRAM. I could trade her the Dell for the Compaq.

That's nice of you but probably not going to help enough for
semi-modern games.