Old July 16th 20, 08:17 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

Default Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions' and 'start fixing real problems'

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 at 13:42:37, VanguardLH wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:

Linus Torvalds' comments came from this article: https://is.gd/6zpZRL

Full URL:
https://www.pcgamer.com/linux-founde...inventing-magi
c-instructions-and-start-fixing-real-problems/#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fww
w.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=http s%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgamer.c
om%2Flinux-founder-tells-intel-to-stop-inventing-magic-instructions-and-
start-fixing-real-problems%2F

I'm a little surprised at VLH for the above: surely it's rather _more_
than a Full URL: I think you could truncate it before the # sign. What
follows are "referrer" and "From", with another couple of URLs in there
(with the "://"s and subsequent "/"s turned into their hex equivalents).

Linus is known for publishing his tirades on Windows, and even on Linux
variants. He lambasts everyone.

Tweaking hardware to look good in benchmarks is news to you? Video chip
makers have been doing this forever, making their hardware or firmware

[]
Not exclusive to computing hardware of course! The last _big_ one I can
remember is Volkswagen getting _caught_ detecting when their engines
were undergoing the annual emission tests (as required by most
countries) and running accordingly, but I'm sure there are myriad
examples. (Note: not myriad _of_.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Everyone learns from science. It all depends how you use the knowledge. - "Gil
Grissom" (CSI).