Old August 25th 18, 05:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

Default SD card problems

On 8/23/2018 11:21 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Mike S wrote:

SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC

snip
... You didn't mention the size
of your music files, or how many files you were writing at a time.

(Dekstop) I opened 2 Windows 7 File Explorer windows, highlighted and
copied all of the files from the music folder (in one window) from the
hdd and pasted them into the window with the SIIG sd card writer.
(Laptop) I used W7 File explorer in the same way when writing to the SD
card inserted into an SD card slot built into an HP laptop. I don't know
how many files are copied at the same time. The files are varying
quality and lengths, I know this isn't very meaningful but they average
8 MB.

You did not mention how you were saving (writing) the files. Were you
using Windows Explorer, some music library software, or what? Was the
data bus quiescent, so the only data traffic was for the file copying?
You mention "SIIG USB 2.0 Multi Card Reader/Writer" for the card reader
but not its model number. I don't know if that comes with any software.
I remember a USB HDD docking station that came with speed-up software
that did just the opposite. Uninstalling the software got transfer
speeds more consistently higher. I didn't see any software downloads at
http://www.siig.com/download/search/...d=JU-MR0C12-S1 (if that is
your USB card reader).

You also did not mention if the card is formatting using FAT32, exFAT,
or NTFS. Generally NTFS results in faster transfer than FAT32, plus
NTFS doesn't have the 4GB max file size limit of FAT32.

https://www.flexense.com/fat32_exfat...omparison.html

exFAT beats NTFS for some tests; however, exFAT has no journaling to
help protect files from corruption.

Great points, the only thing happening on the computer was the file copy
operation, screen and hdd were set to always on in the power options, I
used exFAT for the first 3 write attempts, and NTFS for the latest write
attempt, as you said - it was faster, although there are still corrupt
files/folders after the NTFS copy so I don't know if that skews the
results.

exFAT
9.10 MB/s at start
--------- at 25%
5.04 MB/s at 50%
4.21 MB/s at 75%
3.93 MB/s at 99%

NTFS
7.8 MB/s at start
7.2 MB/s at 25%
5.7 MB/s at 50%
5.2 MB/s at 75%
5.0 MB/s at 99%

snip
I was definitely safely ejecting the drive before removal each time.

Thanks for the links and thoughts.
Mike