Old August 10th 18, 12:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Michael Black[_3_]

Default "Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018, Ant wrote:

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Mark Perkins wrote:
On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 13:04:10 -0500, (Ant) wrote:

Can I buy a 2 TB SSD for really cheap yet

The 2TB Micron SSD for less than $300 that was mentioned in the article
is really cheap, compared to other 2TB SSD models.

Still expensive to me.

Yes, it's in the range where I wouldn't buy without a lot of thought.

On the other hand, I paid somewhere around $500 in 1984 for a 5.25" floppy
drive, a case and power supply and controller, for a Radio Shack COlor
Computer, and that was from a local third party. When I got a hand me
down Mac Plus in 1983, I got my first hard drive because a second floppy
drive would have been fairly expensive, it being a Mac. But that 80meg
hard drive in late 1993 must have been close to $500 at the time.

The last new hard drive I bought was in 2006, a 160gig, and I recall it
was just over a hundred dollars. I never did fill that drive up, though I
tried.

Michael