Old December 21st 05, 01:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Default Q: Why don't desktops us mobile cpus?

"ISOHaven" wrote in message
Not sure what your exact point was.

I believe that's because you don't understand that using electricity costs
more than money.

All you did was just put a laptop on someones desk. In that case then
this entire thread is BS. If you want a crappy HDD and you want a crappy
cd type drive and no expansion what-so-ever then YES your 60/30W example
will hold true. But then again just buy a friggen laptop and use that
instead of a desktop unit.

I'm not suggesting buying all low power parts, just the most power hungry
part of the computer.

BUT, that's not the case. The question at hand is building a DESKTOP unit
with a mobile processor that needs to run 12v cd type drives and 12v HDDs.
So your 60/30W example goes right out the window. Sorry, try again.

Not really. The CPU uses the most power (besides the monitor which can't be
reduced). A mobile CPU will likely use 30W less (I don't have the exact
figures). Multiply that by 1million machines and you're saving 30 megawatts.

Gargravarr,

A typical desktop computer draws about 60 Watts of power;

Is that accurate? I thought a p4 cpu on it's own used 60watts?

Want it to cost nothing?? Turn off a couple of incandescent lamps. Same
idea goes for every room that a PC is used in.
Throw away a few toasters, electric kettles and other useless appliances
and you'll actually *save* money.

Who the frig has incandescent lights these days? Energy saving lights are
$10 for a pack of 4, the most powerful light in my house is 13 watts. I'd
have to turn off every light in my house off (typically I'd have 4 to 6
lights on). And that assumes I'm using my PC at night! Toasters and kettles
use a ****load of power but only for short periods.

Granted the saving aren't that great but if motherboards came down in price
then it would be a worthwhile idea. For all I know the motherboards are
cheap anyway and someone here said the cpus cost a small percentage more.

Michael