Old October 13th 05, 02:30 AM
keith

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:18:47 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article .com,
"Nathan Bates" writes:

| Thru design to tape-out, a new x86 CPU based on CMOS technology
| will take 3 years min to develop. A photonic x86 will take much
| longer,
| maybe 5..7 years, and expect a rate of advancement of photonic
| technology.
| Sounds like the classic gamble for Silicon Valley VCs.

Complex optical logic is another game. Yes, maybe 5-7 years.
But also maybe 50-70. Sane people don't believe tight schedules
for developing new, known to be difficult, technology.

Jeez! After we get nuclear fusion tackled we'll not need photonics.
Processors can then scale to 1.21GW and there won't be any need for
photonics. Indeed, my money would be on Mr. Fusion first. After all,
it has a 50 year head start.

--
Keith