Old April 12th 19, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default How to unlock Bios? And a protocol for getting the BIOS screen in a Dell Latitude

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 22:20:43 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
wrote:

One academic question I have is if I was to unlock the BIOS, how would
you do it? Perhaps reset the coin battery? Or is it related to the
Intel (R) Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx) ?

-
Unless it's a generic fix -- Dell will naturally have both a lot of
information (than you might otherwise find in an XYZ build) in various
hardware forums, as well as responsible avenues to get inside and talk
to Dell people -- some brand laptops and preassembled PCs default,
after a BIOS reset, back to something simple such as USER for a
password.

I wouldn't want a locked BIOS, anymore than a deck of cards that is
shy. A computer by definition is first generic -- you, your resources
component studies make it everything about what it subsequently is.
That is what you assemble to build, including the documentation sent
and a customer commitment for a reason to buy it in the first place.

Buying something else presassembled may be something entirely. And
all laptops cannot be assembled, in any sense remotely near, for what
assembling a PC entails.

I will bet, though I've never owned one, being what Dell is, and if I
called them, it would take long to get to the bottom of that.