Old February 22nd 19, 06:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

Default "How Reliable are SSDs?"

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 21:08:48 -0700, Grant Taylor
wrote:

On 2/21/19 8:59 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
I've never seen an SSD rated that way. I've seen TBW and "years" (the
latter for warranty purposes), but never what you described. Is there
a specific brand that describes 'life' that way? You said 'most', but
I assume it's only one brand.

Drive Writes Per Day.

Link - Speeds, Feeds and Needs – Understanding SSD Endurance
- https://blog.westerndigital.com/ssd-...s-feeds-needs/

§ The SSD Endurance Equation

Ugh! So it's a [WD] blog where the guy cautions *against* using 'drive
writes per day' because it's *not* a good metric for measuring drive
endurance, due to the fact that it doesn't give apples to apples
comparisons across drive capacities. He then goes on to say that TBW is
a better metric, with which I (and virtually everyone else) agree.

The question remains: is there an SSD manufacturer that uses 'drive
writes per day' in their marketing materials to help customers figure
out the endurance properties of their product? So far, no.