Old June 27th 04, 08:07 AM
~misfit~

kony wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:24:56 -0500, pgtr wrote:

That cB0 is, and has been for a while now, running happily at
900Mhz on a 100Mhz FSB at 1.75v. Huge difference in performance.

900MHz is a pretty good result, most cB0 had a ceiling speed
right around 875-950MHz, so it is not a safe bet that a cB0 can
reach 900 easily or even at all. cC0 was much easier to o'c,
almost all of them hit 1.1GHz.

Knowledge or at least chatter on this topic has died off by late
2000. Since then I noticed a couple of more (see my post above)
CuMine cB0 Cellys in EXCESS of 600mhz come out and kinda fit in that
'gray zone'.

If I don't find anything more specific I'm probably goint to pick up
the EXACT chip you have.

Is it worth the time to hunt down specific steppings though? I
meant, the adapter is less than $15 delivered, right?

But I'd sure be curious if a cB0 633...700mhz (1.6-1.65V) CuMine
would also fly???

Depends on your definition of "fly". It has SSE support, so
certainly a lot faster at any SSE optimized app than you present
Celery is, but otherwise, do not expect it to be a worthwhile
upgrade from your present 366@550 . It is using a 100MHz FSB &
memory bus, while the Celery 700 wouldn't, and in the cB0
stepping, there isn't much of a chance to be able to o'c it to a
100MHz FSB. One of the primary reasons Intel changed the design
for the cC0 was to get the higher clockspeeds though better power
delivery and heat transfer.

On the other hand there seems to be little doubt about the cC0s
(1.7V) - they'll not likely work in my mobo w/o an adapter at the
list or a mod to the pins or whatever.

Anyway hoping someone who has some personal experience or recalls
this almost bygone era sees this and pipes up!

thnaks again!

It was not hard to adapt a non-coppermine board to accept a
Coppermine. Many people suggest wire-tricks with insertion of
wire in the socket or wrappping around the pins, but personally
the method I used seems easier.

See this pic,
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/PPGA_t...Socket_Mod.gif
It is a pin-side view of the CPU, and it also corresponds to the
back side of the motherboard, the socket pins. Note that two
corners are missing pins, as a key to orient the board and CPU.

If you broke the red pin in the pic, off of the CPU, and then
soldered a wire between the two blue pins on the back of the
motherboard (being careful to isolate the wire, only connect
those two) then you should be able to use cC0 & cD0 celerons on
your board without any further adapter. Basically what happened
is that Intel moved the RESET pin and the made the old pin
position a ground that isn't needed with the new chip but can't
be connected either. If you break that pin off the CPU, it will
still work fine in a Coppermine-supportive motherboard too.

Keep in mind that any of this (even using the adapter) is at your
own risk, I can only report what has worked for me.

It is also possible to just wrap wires around those two blue
pins, or solder the wire, on the CPU itself, but it is much more
difficult and more risky than soldering the board itself. Also
you could use a 3mm long piece of floppy cable insulation to
insulate the red pin instead of breaking it off, but then you
need to use a tiny drill bit or jeweler's screwdriver, reamer,
etc, to slightly enlarge that hole in the socket so the pin (now
larger due to having insulation on it) will fit in the hole.
Only the top of the socket hole needs enlarged, not any deeper
than that.

You have several options and several method of achieving the
goal, it just depends on exactly what you wanted to do. I would
recommend a goal of at least a CPU running at stock speed of
800MHz (which was lowest speed Celeron that used a 100MHz FSB) or
choosing a core stepping and speed that is most likely able to
overclock to a 100MHz FSB, which may require Vcore CPU voltage
increase to around 1.75-1.9V, typically about 1.825V was
sufficient to hit 1.1GHz - 1.2GHz (on cD0, cC0 was not as likely
to hit 1.2GHz).

Keep in mind that your motherboard regulation was designed to
provide higher voltage and lower amps. After you get this
project completed you might run a stress test like Prime 95's
torture test for several hours and touch-test the motherboard
regulators to see how hot they're getting. If they overheat they
should have a thermal shutdown to save them, but it will still
age them to run at higher temps all the time. If it seems
necessary, put a very small heatsink on them, attached with
whatever you like so long as it's very thin interface and the
substance used is tolerate of proper temp range, like at least
past 100C.

All good advice. I also have a cC0 600 that does 900 but doesn't seem to
want to go higher. I have a cD0 900 that will do 1000 easilly (at default
vcore even) and probably go quite a bit higher (the guy I got it off said he
had it running on a 133Mhz FSB for nearly 1.2Ghz) but I have a
cheap-n-nasty SCSI card in that one and it won't recognise my SCSI devices
when the PCI bus is out-of-spec. Also, the board is a BX chipset and doesn't
drop the PCI/AGP multipliers back above 100.

I've done the "remove the pin and join the others" mod myself and can attest
that it works. Just don't do what I did and remove the wrong pin by
accident. The CPU won't boot with the middle pin from the other corner
missing. Luckilly I was able to solder it back on and break off the right
pin. It turned out to be quite a good repair, it's been in and out of a few
sockets since and the pin hasn't fallen off yet.
--
~misfit~