Old September 19th 20, 12:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

Default Q: Replace ethernet cables with POF backbone on home Powerline?

On 9/19/2020 5:13 AM, x13 wrote:
but even that is faster than using a "networked" connection via my router.

Wired router? Wireless router? What sort? I wired my old house with Cat 5e
when I moved in 20+ years ago and have no trouble moving data at least
70-80% of Gigabit speed between devices which are capable of handling the
sustained throughput. My file transfers never get anywhere close to my
router -- they go through a Gigabit switch (or two or three) along the way
depending on where they are headed. If my present setup was so slow that
powerline adapters showed an apparent speed increase I think I'd be looking
at what is wrong with the present setup rather than dreaming fiber dreams.

BTW if you had fiber you would still have the problem of getting the signal
into and out of the devices and, unless you had some sort of magical
never-heard-of laptop with a fiber socket, you would still be dealing with
fiber-to-ethernet adapter at each end which would be subject to normal
Ethernet speed standards.

BTW-BTW it is not all that difficult to install high-speed Ethernet wiring
without doing major damage and if you don't trust yourself there are people
who will do the job and probably more cheaply than buying fiber
infrastructure. Plenum-rated cable is not all that large and is pretty
slippery and easy to drag where you want.

There, I guess I've beaten that particular horse thoroughly enough...

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.