Old April 15th 05, 08:13 PM
Stanley Reynolds

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have gotten a Compaq Deskpro 386s

From what I can see on this picture

http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebr...s/r0015149.jpg it must be
the 2530 model.

The first issue is that I don't know how to have more memory.
The operating system I'm planning to run requires at least 8MB, and
would perform better with 12MB.

From this picture

http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebr...s/r0015136.jpg it appears
the max memory in this machine is 13 MB, I don't know if I need a
memory expansion board or if I just need memory chips. There appears to
be some card which might or might not be the memory expansion board
(look at this pictu
http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebr...s/r0015124.jpg )

I don't know what type of memory I need. It's for sure not 30-pin SIMMs
or 72-pin SIMMs.

The other issue is the hard disk. From what I can see on this pictu
http://www.geocities.com/daniel_lebr...s/r0015133.jpg this machine
only supports a handful of "types". I guess this means I can't just use
any 540 MB IDE drive I might have around. Also, I don't even know if
this machine uses IDE drives or "other" (ESDI ?) drives....

If anybody could help, I would be very glad.

Thank you,
Daniel

Several companies made ISA memory expansion boards if you could find one it
maybe a little slow but still work. You should be able to install a larger
disk and use a product like disk manager to map it correctly note you would
need and old version of this software as the version they sell now doesn't
support 386 CPU. Which OS are you planing to use ? From a economic stand
point you should be able to buy a used computer for much less than $25 than
would be better choice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW