Old November 15th 12, 04:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Justin[_14_]

Default Precision M6500 - screen shut off

On 11/7/2012 2:34 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
I think that a high heat shutdown is a hard shutdown, rather than
a sleep mode.

The response to high but not excessively high heat is to slow
down the processor.

The screen not coming on might be a software screwup. I've seen
that a few times and it didn't recur.

It turns out this is a well known issue. It happens when the chipset
gets too hot.
I installed a set of feet on the machine so its about a quarter inch off
the surface in the front and maybe 5/8 of an inch in the back.
I installed a 500GB Western Digital 7,200 rpm drive.
I couldn't run more than five minutes without the screen blanking.
I miss my Mac.
I thought buying a Dell designed for higher end users would work, but nope.