Old June 29th 03, 10:01 AM
Maveric

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:58:54 -0400, "Frank Weston"
wrote:

Hello,

The memory speed is NOT fixed. It's a ratio of processor speed. Although the
BIOS may tell you that you're setting a memory speed, what you're really
doing is setting a ratio of memory speed to FSB speed. I think the P4C800
mobo gives you three choices of memory dividers (400) which is really 1:1,
(333) which is really 4:5, (266)which is really 2:3.

That would explain a lot. There is nothing in the BIOS or manual to suggest
this.

If the memory can't hang in at 1:1 with 156 FSB, I'd be suspicious of it. In
BIOS,

More testing on my part showed that my type of Corsair memory is not compatible
with my Asus board. It was not certified by Asus but since i was not planning on
running it at max spec (DDR400) i thought i would be OK .... not thus

disable Memory Acceleration Mode, which is trying to make use of a
feature your processor does not have.

Still off, i was planning to play with that when i found a combination of FSB
and memory that worked stable.

Try one stick at a time and see what
happens.

Tried that, one of the sticks goes 2 MHZ FSB (160Mhz) further when running
single channel. The other is the bad one (152Mhz max). But both are not good.
If i apply your theory then this memory craps out at well below 133Mhz actual
memory speed ...... bummer

Try relaxing the timing. If you still can't get memory to run
faster, think about sending it back. At 166 FSB (which is a 25% overclock),
you may be hitting your processor limit, but the memory should easily run at
the (400) 1:1 setting and tight timing.

I have been playing with that. 158Mhz FSB with CL2.0 3 4 is the best i can get
there (2.0 2 3) is not stable and at 166 Mhz CL2.0 2 3 does run Memtest-86 OK.
When testing memory bandwidth the CL value does nothing, CL2.0 is as fast as
CL3.0, but the RAS & RAS2CAS values do give a performance boost.

Hope this helps.

Yes it does, time to get better memory

Greetings,

Frans