Old July 18th 07, 04:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ihatefishsauce

Default P5GDC-V Deluxe build

On Jul 13, 10:38 am, Paul wrote:
Ihatefishsauce wrote:
Hi. Just joined this group because I need some help.

I have a P5GDC-V Deluxe (sat in garage for about two years until last
week)
I just got my order from Newegg:

2 WD Caviar SATA2 320GB drives
2 sony DVD burners
2 GB RAM
Mitsumi floppy/integrated with media reader (SDC, etc.)
Intel 560 3.4 Ghz P4
Ultra Xconnect 500watt power supply (waiting on the 20-24 pin power
cable from them)

here is the burning question, since SATA is a new thing to me:

I want both drives to be separate (C, D)
I want to put DVD burners (IDE) on separate IDE channels

How exactly do I do this? What steps do I take first. Can someone
explain how to do this up to and including loading the OS which will
be.........XP Pro!

Thanks to all the smarter than me people.

The P5GDC-V Deluxe has one IDE port on the Southbridge, and two IDE
ports on the 8212F. Personally, I would place both DVD burners on the
Southbridge interface, as that is likely to be the most seamless way
of using them. Less hassle if the DVD burners ever need a firmware
update and so on. Booting from them, should also be easier on the
Southbridge. (I'd feel more comfortable putting IDE hard drives
on the 8212F.)

The BIOS defaults ("Standard IDE", "Enhanced Mode") should support
installation without pressing F6. To do that, you'd want a WinXP
SP1 or SP2 install disk, as they have a PCI address space native
Microsoft driver in them. If your install disk is original WinXP,
you can use a tool like Autostreamer, to make a new install CD that
includes one of the two service packs.

For the SATA drives, just plug them in.

You don't need to use the adapter for the 20 pin power supply. The
20 pin should plug into the 24 pin connector. You can see the
commonality of pins between the two of them, in these docs. The
pictures here, are of the cable ends on the PSU. The pin 1 end is the
same on both connectors.

http://www.formfactors.org/developer...X12V_1_3dg.pdf (pg.29)http://www.formfactors.org/developer...2_2_public_br2... (pg.36)

Paul

Well, I am almost at the point where I can power the pc up. However,
there is just one more thing that I must do that I gotta admit is
beginning to confuse me greatly. I have connectors on this
motherboard for the following fans (from manual): 4-pin CPU, 3-pin
PWR_FAN,
3-pin CHA_FAN 1, 3 -PIN CHA_FAN 2. I thought that connecting them
would be a slam dunk. apparently not. I have connected just the CPU
fan --that was the easy one! The pc case has room for a 120mm fan and
6 80mm fans. The real question is, which fan plugs into what above
connectors? What is this PWR_FAN? from what I have read, it is for a
connector coming from the power supply? The power supply doesn't have
a connector like that (Ultra X-Connect 500W 20 pin - kinda old, but it
should work). So, what fan plugs into what mother board connector?
And for the remaining fans, just give them power from a Molex
connnector? If so, how far can I split one Molex connector to power
the remaining fans? They are just regular fans, not those RPM
controllable ones (Enermax UC8-EB for all 80mm ones and a Scythe S-
Flex SFF21F for the 120mm one (which is positioned in the back of the
case next to the i/o strip as a "blow" fan. This fan hookup is
totally confusing. Can someone please tell me in plain language how
to hook them up to my P5GDC-V Deluxe?

Now, for the final question. Once I am ready to throw the switch,
should I enter the bios immediately and configure, configure,
configure? I have the original Cd which says "P5 series intel
925/915 chipset series support cd rev 78.14" and I hope that it is
not outdated since this motherboard sat in my garage about two years
in the original box. When would I put the cd in? after the OS is
installed? Would it be this order:

1. after build is complete, power on pc and enter bios
2. configure devices or make sure that they have been automatically
configured
3. exit bios and flash to newest one (??)
4. install OS
5. Run as us Chipset support CD 78.14?

HELP!