Old November 8th 05, 12:35 PM

Default Changing Harddrives whilst PC includes a RAID Array

Jim,

You have a very good point; I had been planning to move this setup to a USB
or fireware enabled removable drive setup.

Before I do, I also have Acronis 8.0. So, given I don't have the removable
drive option at home, I decided to boot from the Acronis CD-ROM. I changed
the BIOS to have my DVD drive as the first boot device (with all other bo0t
devices set to 'None') ... and the IDE drive attached. The result is that
the PC still boots from the SATA RAID array, bringing windows up!!! This
was most unexpected and shows that there is more at play here...

I've googled re the mobo (GA-KA8NXP-SLI) and sata, ide etc and found several
sources of people were having drive problems. Unfortunately none seem to be
attemptin a RAID array and a non-raided IDE drive. From them, there were
interesting comments to note:

http://groups.google.com.au/group/al...3bde4f7e5248e9
As you may or may not be aware, the on-board RAID controllers are not true
hardware RAID controllers, and therefore need specific Windows based drivers
to perform the RAID functions, and as such are vulnerable to corruption
caused by software conflicts/crashes within windows.
On the other hand, a fully hardware based RAID controller is transparent to,
and completely independent of the OS used on the PC, and does not require
any drivers to be loaded into the OS for it's correct operation. I assume
this would result in the arrays on a true hardware based controller being
less vulnerable to software issues within the OS.

If the above is true, I am not sure that Acronis (or Bootitng) will be able
to copy the SATA array as it won't have a driver like windows to interpret
it.

The above, if true, also leads me to think that a RAID array implemented
with software (which I didn't know) is less robust. I had chosen to
implement a RAID-1 array to make my data more secure!

That post also alludes to a 'nVidia hardware/BIOS/driver issue/conflict'....

That fact that there are a number of posts/forums where there are issues
with RAID arrays on this mobo doesn't look good.

I am now going to try and only have the IDE cabled in and boot from the
Acronis CD which should tell me more. If that doesn;t work, I'll attach the
IDE HDD to the same cable my DVD drive is on .... maybe a bad IDE cable???
I'll tell you how I go.

D.

"Jim" wrote in message
Ok, I think have a decent "lay of the land" here on this problem. I'm not
quite sure what you did to actually cause the failure of the SATA array to
boot when the IDE drive is attached, but since you did manage to get the
transfer completed and drive wiped, what remains is finding some way to
get
your current SATA array backed up. I assume if your IDE drive is NOT
attached, the SATA array will still boot, correct?

Two solutions, option #1 is straight-forward, but costs a few bucks.
Option
#2 is free, but slightly more complex.

Option #1: Get yourself a cheap USB enclosure for your IDE HD. These can
be
had for $25-35 online (see Dealsonic.com, they have loads of 'em).
Because
the interface is USB, all you have to do is boot the SATA array, power up
the enclosure, and insert the USB cable. Windows will recognize it and
whalla, you have access to the storage for whatever purposes you like,
including imaging the OS on the SATA drive.

Option #2 (should be done w/ SATA and IDE drives installed): Visit
http://www.bootitng.com and make yourself either a bootable floppy or CD.
Boot the floppy/CD, and when the Welcome screen appears, hit Cancel, and
follow the prompts until you reach the partition manager. Now use the
partition manager to COPY or IMAGE the SATA partition(s) over to the IDE
drive. It should be fairly intuitive, but if not, let me know and I'll
walk
you through the process.

The reason this should work is because we never are getting far enough to
boot the SATA nor the IDE drive! Instead, the BootIt NG floppy or CD is
being booted FIRST. Therefore, we can gain access to both the HDs and at
least can perform a partition COPY or partition IMAGE operation from one
drive to the other. Of course, this doesn't solve the underlying problem.
You'll still need to disconnect the IDE drive before booting the SATA
drive
to avoid the blue screens. BUT, you will at least have a copy of that
SATA
install on the IDE drive. Heck, you can even image copy the SATA drive to
CD\DVD media if you prefer.

Btw, I see no reason the IDE drive wouldn't be bootable as long as you
made
sure you COPIED (as opposed to IMAGED) the SATA partition(s) over to the
IDE
drive, AND, made sure that the partition was marked bootable. From the
partition manager, Hit "View MBR", and in the dialog, you will notice four
entries in the MBR (Master Boot Record). Each entry w/ a non-zero address
represents one of your COPIED partitions. Select the bootable partition
(usually the first MBR entry), hit "Set Active", and the partition will
indicate Active status. Now hit "Std MBR", this will initialize the boot
loader in the MBR. Finally, hit Apply to save the changes. At this
point,
the IDE drive *should* be bootable using the installation copied from the
SATA drive. Of course, I'm not sure that making the IDE drive bootable is
really what you're after, I'm merely saying you could make it happen, if
that proves useful.

But again, none of this addresses the underlying problem, I'm merely
suggesting how to solve the immediate problem of backing up the SATA
installation. At least the use of an external USB enclosure provides a
long
term solution by side-stepping the problem.

HTH

Jim

"D" wrote in message
Jim,

This is a relatively new PC (6 months old) so your right, I probably

haven't
experienced all the [disk/boot] issues which are particular to it.

My primary concern is to get a full backup of my data. To do this, due
the size (80Gb), I need to get the second harddrive config'ed
successfully
without any Windows re-install.

I have reformatted the IDE drive, to remove any issue with the old
Windows
install on it. (I can't remember if it was formatted with a

system-option;
how do I tell?) It still blue screens and auto-restarts.

I turned auto-restart off in my SATA-based Windows install; and know I
can
see the Blue Screen error:

*** Begin***
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent

damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart
your
computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard
drives
or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is

properly
configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive

corruption,
and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF79F7528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
*** End***

I then ran IBM's disk fitness against the IDE drive (with only the IDE
attached by cables); this was successful (in both Quick Check and

long-check
option).

I tried another IBM IDE HDD and it errors with the exact same codes when
connected with my SATA array.

In all test cases, except where only the IDE HDD is attached, the SATA

array
is the first boot device and the IDE the second.

What puzzles me is that the IDE HDD used to be attached and visible and
allow SATA-based Windows to boot successfully (The IDE HDD was added
(physically) after the SATA-based HDD Windows was installed). This
tends
to indicate to me that it is a hardware issue; combined with the disk
test
and the other IDE also tested .... but not the particular IDE HDD.

I am now trying cabling options (although I have it set as the master on
80' cable by itself on the black-end of the cable, nothing on the
middle-grey end and the blue attached to the m/b as it should be). I'll

try
it on the IDE seperate IDE cable that the DVD burner is (and has always
been) working on).

D.

"Jim" wrote in message
It's always difficult in a case like this to be positive about what
happened. A lot of details here regarding boot sequence, what was
attached
prior and after OS installation, mobo idiosyncrasies, etc. That said,

it
sounds like you may have a case where the mobo drive assignments (C:,

D:,
etc.) are different when certain hardware components are attached.

For example, I have several USB external HD enclosures. If I leave
them
running when I reboot my Abit AI7 mobo, then the "system" sees the
external
enclosure as the bootable drive, despite the fact I've told the BIOS it
isn't. No matter what I do, if that USB external enclosure is running,
the
system INSISTS on trying to boot it. So w/ every reboot, I have to
make
sure the enclosures are shutdown.

The same thing could be occurring w/ your IDE channels. Your BIOS

and/or
Windows may be insisting that if anything is attached to the IDE
channels,
it must be the bootable item. Of course, we know it isn't. I suspect

the
reason it gets to the XP logo and craps out is because it's NOT the new
install, but the OLD install that's trying to boot. The old install
doesn't
match the new hardware, and well..., all kinds of problems can creep up
now.
The fact you added the IDE drive AFTER XP was installed may have
exacerbated
the problem too.

I have several suggestions, perhaps none of them ideal. You could

install
XP on the RAID partition again, but this time make sure the IDE drive
is
attached and running at the time. XP will install the boot files on
the
IDE
drive, of course, but the OS will be running off the RAID/SATA drives
(probably as D.

Another option, if you want to force the RAID/SATA drive to be C: is,
install a boot manager on the PATA/IDE drive first (e.g., BootIt NG).
Only
requires a small 8-16mb partition. Now install XP on the RAID/SATA

drive.
When the system boots, it will boot the PATA/IDE drive, *but* that will
only
boot the boot manager! From there, your boot manager can boot XP (as

C.
This is what I've done on my system. I *always* use a small PATA drive
for
my boot manager, which in turn boot various OS's from my RAID0

(stripped)
array (in my case, PATA/IDE too). I then use the remaining space on
the
PATA/IDE drive for additional partitions or storing image copies of
partitions on the other drives, so it doesn't go to waste.

Bottomline is, I know this varies a bit from vendor to vendor, but
there
can
be problems in controlling boot order when mixing interfaces, despite
whether the BIOS settings might lead you to believe otherwise. Many
mobo's
insist on a particular sequence that *may* not jive with your

intentions.
And that's what I suspect has happened in your case. To circumvent the
problem, I've simply made it a habit to maintain a small PATA/IDE drive
for
my boot manager, then have the boot manager boot the various OS's I
have
installed. Sometimes you have to know when to NOT fight the system

HTH

Jim

"D" wrote in message

I've got a Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI motherboard.

It has two RAID controller chips, of which I use one to controller a

RAID
1
array of two Seagate ST3160827AS SATA 7200.8 160GB drives.

The O/S is Win XP SP2.

All was working fine, even after adding my old IDE harddrive from my

old
PC
(continuing with the boot disk being the RAID 1 array).

However, I wanted to wipe my old IDE drive to allow it to be used for
backups... Before wiping it, I decided to make it the boot drive to
bring
my old install of XP up to allow me to run the transfer wizards to

ensure
had all the settings and data I might need from the old HDD. (The old
install of windows complained about hardware, given the install had
occurred
on my old PC, as expected. I was still able to run Transfer Wizard
succesfully).

The problem arose when I switched in BIOS to make the RAID array the

boot
disk. On boot, just before Windows XP shows it's logo, it would blue
screen. The blue screen would flash by before I could read it and the
system rebooted automaticaly. This occurred continuously. This was
stopped
by uncabling the old IDE drive, which allowed Win XP to start, but
then

kept getting dirty bits on two of the partitions of the RAID drives
(which
after many repetative checkdisks, finally stopped).

All seems to be working well again; but I've lost faith in being able

recong drives at will. I have re-configed drives in my PC for many

years
and never had this problem; although this is the first time I've done

it
whilst having a RAID array.

I still want to be able to attach another HDD (with the RAID array
remaing
the boot drive) to allow backups of my significant volume of data (too
much
for DVD burn even - 50Gb), but am now wary of changing my config. I

now
know I can change Windows System option to not reboot automatically on
crashing; to allow me to see the blue screen details, but am wary of
cabling
the IDE drive back in to further troubleshoot in case I lose all my

data.

- Why would changing the boot sequence and booting from an old windows
install affect the RAID parition integrity and reverting the setup

back?
- Before cabling the IDE HDD back in, should I perform some action or

add
it
with specific considerations?
- Should I uncable the two SATA drives in the array, cable the IDE

drive
in
and then run a harddisk test from a bootable CD?

Thanks in advance,
D.