Old June 17th 04, 02:25 PM
AC

Default NTFS disk corrupted - drive tested ok (why?)

Using xp pro I rebooted because a particular ms online update failed to
install, (a recent active x related one I think) and found it would not
boot.

A bios setup message displayed complaining that the speed settings were
too fast. (I wondered if the processor was going too slow from overheat
maybe?)

a virus check showed no virus found.

a manufacturer (samsung) disk check utility for the drive came out all
good, no problem anywhere.

I recovered data using Restorer2000, so I guess the disk was not too
badly damaged (?)

I have not always had reliable results from this pc, so I sort of
suspect it in some way. I noted that the AMD athlon processor heatsink
(with fan) was rather dusty and blocked, so I cleaned it, and using
another HD, reinstalled and ran it.

I would appreciate some idea of how this might have happened, if I
discasrd the mainboard & processor - is this likely to be a reasonable
cure? the psu is a reasonable quality one, and is not as old as the pc,
but could it be a problem (its voltages seem ok).

Question is - is it possible for an ntfs disk to get corrupted if the
processor gets overheated or goes wrong etc?

Any other comments please?
--
AC