Old April 5th 07, 10:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Folkert Rienstra

Default Raid0 or Raid5 for network to disk backup (Gigabit)?

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage markm75 wrote:
On Apr 4, 12:31 pm, "Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote:
Keep in mind that any application that writes enormous files to a
Windows network share will experience gradual but steady performance
degredation over time. This is due to a performance bug in the
Windows itself, and has nothing to do with the application that is
writing the data. This can be easily reproduced by writing a simple
app that does nothing but constantly write a continuous stream of data
to a specified file.

Exactly so, we have noticed it and measured it.

This is MS's issue, and is possible related to cache pollution - polluting the
cache faster then the lazy writer will flush it. Tweaking the cache settings in
the registry (after finding the MS's KB about them) can be a good idea.

the backup image into ~50GB pieces. Most backup apps support
splitting the backup image file.

ShadowProtect surely supports this, and I think Acronis and Norton Ghost/LSR
too.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

Thanks for that tid bit.. I'll either break them up and test again or
try to find the MS solution.

Sure enough, ShadowProtect ended up at 9 hours as well.

Well, that would explain it. Once again. MS is using substandard technology.

I hope you find a solution to this, but I certainly have ni clus what it could be.

Not uncommon when you have so many brainfarcts as you have. babblebot.

Arno