Old April 6th 07, 12:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Arno Wagner

Default Raid0 or Raid5 for network to disk backup (Gigabit)?

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
I wouldn't know. Linux ext2/3 has a 2TB file size limit.

Sorry. See the cite from include/linux/ext2_fs.h below and "__u32
i_size;" in it.

ext2's limit is 4GB. I remember ext3 being compatible with ext2 in on-disk
structures in everything except the transaction log, so, looks like ext3 is
also limited to 4GB per file.

Well, yes, if you use a pretty old kernel. Or turn large
file support off. Standard limit is 2TB at the moment. And
you don't need to quote kernel source at me, I happen to
have files 4G on ext2 at this moment. The inode type
has been extended some time ago.

An overview over the current limits of ext2 is, e.g., he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2

One thing you need to do in your software for it to be able
to handle the large files is to define
#define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64
in order for all the relevant types to be 64 bits transparently.
Note that you need the functions using ''off_t'' for position
specification.

More so, if you will also find the superblock structure, you will
see that ext2 is also limited to 32bit block numbers in the
volume. There are good chances that this means the volume size limit
of 2TB (if "block" is really the disk sector and not a group of
sectors).

Filesystem size currently is 16TB. But you need large block device
support enabled in the kernel to use that. I think that is not
yet the default.

Arno