Old July 29th 07, 06:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
gg

Default how to isolate raid corruption

thx. memtest done
cable swaps tried - but I still think something is wrong with the connection
for a particular drive
I'll be monitoring that drive closely

"Oldish Git" wrote in message
I reckon you have a bad drive - try SMART testing them
using Seagate's utility. Have you checked RAM with memtest86?
Bad RAM can cause havoc. Tried swapping the HD cables?
If you can afford it, buy another HD and swap one at a time,
letting the RAID 5 array rebuild each time (after all, that's one
of the best reasons for using RAID 5.) Then use the system as
normal until it (hopefully) works ok, returning the faulty drive
(which will now be sitting on your desk , if still under warranty.
If that doesn't work, you likely have a faulty motherboard, some
kind of problem with the RAID drivers or an obscure hardware
compatibility problem.
Either way, it's not going to be easy to track it down - googling
would be your best bet.
--
Rob

"gg" wrote in message
thx for replying.
answers inline
"Paul" wrote in message

gg wrote:
At the risk of starting a long thread, I need help troubleshooting my

Pc'
raid corruption problem.

...................... What are the characteristics of the corruption ?
corrupted array mostly

Are data files bad when you run md5sum on them (i.e. checksum changed)

?
If I missed the warning during the boot, Imay get
volume error, OS prompting to do chkdsk, or even mft$ error or windwsw
dealyed write

Is the array broken on next boot ?

yes in red letter during the raid detection post, I got corrupted array
and
had to remove, rebuild...

What kind of RAID is it, 0, 1, 5 etc ?

raid 5 with 3 SATA Seagate drives

I see a thread about corruption in Google, but it was under Linux, and
the
root cause was the GART was being used on cachable memory, when it only
supports uncached (non-coherent) chunks of RAM.

Is the motherboard model number A8N-VM CSM ?

yes

Paul