Old March 7th 07, 02:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larry Roberts

Default Video died, but it's not a dead videocard, or monitor

On 6 Mar 2007 15:38:35 -0800, "johns" wrote:

Sounds like a bad flyback in the crt. Those things
can be intermittant. Also, I've seen a bad vga cable
do strange things .. so it could be in the vga connector
either on the video card, or on the crt. One way to
test that is to turn the brightness control on the crt
up high to see if you have a raster. That has no logic,
and if you do, then it is at the connector .. cable or
video card.

johns

The CRT functions fine when plugged into my Pentium 3 Voodoo 5
5500 system, and my Athlon64 7600GT system. Neither the 6600GT AGP,
nor a GF2 MX400 AGP works in the offending system. The GF2 is a
working card, so I assume the 6600GT is as well. I did get it to
display by installing an old Matrox MGA PCI videocard into the
offending system, so I can only assume now that the AGP slot on the
mainboard died. I have never heard of that happening, but you know
computers.