Old August 9th 18, 06:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mike

Default "Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On 8/8/2018 9:52 PM, Bill wrote:
mike wrote:

How's the reliability?
I'm still reading that they fail catastrophically without warning.

I've heard that the reliability of SSDs far exceeds that of the
mechanical hard drives (for, in fact, an obvious reason--no moving
parts). The "trim" software for my Intel SSD even provides an indication
of the drive's reliability (I'm not sure how well that works). I do
regular backups too.

This thread got me all excited and I dug out a SSD. Trying to update it
from win10 1511 to 1803. Trying to run setup off the 1803 thumb drive
does nothing. Maybe that's too far a spread in versions.

It does bring up a SSD question about how full you can load it.

It appears that you don't want it too full or it spends too much
time erasing blocks. What is not clear is whether it is drive
or partition dependent.

I like to keep my C: small and put the bulk stuff on D:.
I've read that it is ok if the TOTAL amount of data is
much smaller than the TOTAL drive. I've also read what appears
to conflict with that statement.

Stated another way...Is the assignment of hardware blocks fixed at the time
the partition is formatted?

Can I leave my 60GB C: partition? Or should I make it bigger,
less full?