Old August 9th 18, 03:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default "Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ch...ves,37563.html

"It¢s been years since I was willing to work on any PC that boots from a
mechanical hard drive. Once you get used to the snappy response times
and speedier gameload times of an SSD, going back to a hard drive feels
like computing through a thick layer of molasses."

Ever look at the cost of a 2TB or 4TB SSD? Ouch!!!

Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 2TB SATA3 SSD
$509.77 (current sale price)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...71&ignorebbr=1

Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 4TB SATA3 SSD
$1051.00 (current sale price)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...69&ignorebbr=1

Then go look at HDD prices.

WDC Black 2TB SATA3 HDD
$119.00 (current sale price)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...24&ignorebbr=1

WDC Black 4TB SATA3 HDD
$182.99
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...W6&ignorebbr=1

SSDs cheap? No phucking way even if you do recreational drugs. I only
use SSDs for the OS/app partition - and I know that I am paying a HIGH
premium for the faster SSDs. HDDs get used for large storage because
SSDs are still way too EXPENSIVE! However, not all users can afford the
premium priced SSDs for their OS/app partition's drive.

There are hybrid SSHDs (SSD+HDD) that are a lot cheaper than SSD-only
drives. I doubt most users would notice the difference in overall
performance between an SSD and an SSHD. Remember that the vast majority
of users only occasionally encounter burst mode and won't notice a
difference when using normal applications. If someone were doing video
editing, well, they'd need more than one SSD, anyway, and that puts
those boxes out of the price range of the average consumer.

https://promotions.newegg.com/Seagat...085/index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DboEUsOwN28