Old April 7th 04, 06:20 PM
w_tom

Diagnosis procedure is in both newsgroup discussions. Both are chock
full of information which means it must be read multiple times before
it makes sense. Your solution starts with that all so essential 3.5
digit multimeter. Buy it. Don't even ask why. Just buy it to solve
electrical problems.

Green light does not even say that power supply is outputting
(sufficient) voltage. Green light tells us nothing. Until multimeter
and information in those other posts is used, then no one can provide
useful informaton to solve your problem.

BTW, you did remove all power cords from wall before changing
anything - right? If not, then further damage could have resulted.

Don't understand why you provided that 550w number. It tells us
nothing. Again, provided are charts with upper and lower limits. Get
a meter to compare measured numbers to numbers in chart. Furthermore,
550w implies the person who bought power supplies is computer
illiterate. The computer should be working just fine with a 250w
power supply. To hype their inferior product, then many clone power
supply manufacturers even inflate that wattage number to 500+ - rather
than sell a supply with other essential functions. To sell on price,
they simply forget to include those other essential functions. Your
power supply is either more than too large - or has serious problems.
Either way, the multimeter would have discovered the problem and made
a solution simple.

Get the meter. Follow those already cited diagnostic procedures at
http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa or http://tinyurl.com/2t69q

(mike) wrote in message . com...
To clear up some questions you have, the power supply that is not
working is a 550w achieve. It gets a green light on M/B but will not
power up. I read the post that was referred in reply but it was not
clear to me on how to troubleshoot. if someone can direct me to
another location or site that explains it more clearer.

it is a little frustating because i do not know anything about how to
diagnose the problem. It is also strange that the power supply does
not work in both of my computers. I have a feeling that the problem
is something minor and when i figure it out i will be slapping myself
in the head.