Old August 11th 18, 12:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default "Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 21:52:38 -0700, mike wrote:

In the case of a SSD, it's not at all clear who uses what strategy
to what degree. "Trust me, we got good stuff...secret stuff...but
it's good stuff." That's just the way the world works.

So...MTBF calculation == good. Warranty length is mostly independent
of that number. Everyone knows. Are we having fun yet?

--

It is: Because of the advent of 3D NAND technology the focus now has
changed unto an industry-wide push on inferior TLC memory. Less
inferior TLC would be, in the corrective sense, how that reads from a
print on the outside packaging. And, quintessentially, that same
aggressive NAND technology, behind TLC, as well drives the obsequious
"new and improved" for a MTBF, Total Terabytes Written, over X years
of the stipulated warranty. As they say. . .for the part of
remaining secrets is to remain so until they aren't. Industry also
holds the trump card: People emphatically will buy into inferior TLC
because sum costs are cutting anything prior by a huge margin.
Industry knows, psychologically, human nature that cheapshots of the
world will unite. When and as they do, subsequently, the empiric
collectivism will emerge to provide accompanying skews on usage and
failure, onuses, and reviews, although perhaps no differently than
might be the same formulations to subjectively employ, from decades of
metadata characteristics already present, whereby an attempt is
provided to make an informed decision on a mechanical HDD purchase.

Psychologically, above industrial reference is psychoid stock
investment talk. On my part, I could bet completely opposite -- that
people of the world will say horse crap to this advertising -- and
walk away from TLC SSDs. I could literally bet the shirt on back,
everything, and be left sitting on a curb if I lost the bet. Or
become the next richest, on another scenario, and buy the crown of the
King of Siam;... People will buy into TLC, literally crawl over on
another to be able to get at it first, like the good little marketing
paradigms they in fact are.

That's the plain plan for someone looking for a few hundred acres and
a mansion to build.

It's a matter of how fast you really want to go with Solid State NAND:
It comes in two popular flavors, cabled to or breadboarded into the
motherboard bus architecture for your convenience. And in
relativistic terms of pure speed it leaves platters in a cloud of
dust.