Old November 19th 04, 11:32 PM
John W. Wells

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:43:33 -0500, "Doug Miannay"
wrote:

I guess that in my ignorance I ordered a configuration where I can't add an
IDE drive to the same cable as the SATA drive. Am I correct? That poses a
problem for me... I'm going to have to find some other solution to allow me
to use the 160GB IDE drive I have all my data on from the computer the XPS
is replacing.

My Dimension XPS (Gen 2, almost a year old), was ordered and shipped
with a single SATA drive.

I added two "old" IDE drives (which, along with CD and DVD burners,
makes a total of 4 IDE devices). And since I have a drawer-full of
old IDE drives, I installed one of those removeable drive ports, so I
can swap them in and out.

And, as I recall, there is still a second SATA receptacle on the
mother board, so I could add a second SATA drive, giving 4 internal
HDs.

Doesn't your Gen 3 have two IDE channels?

--John W. Wells