Old November 19th 04, 04:07 AM
Tom Scales

If you only have one optical drive, the IDE drive can go on that. If it
only has one connector, then, yes, a cable with two connectors is all you
need.

tom
"Doug Miannay" wrote in message
I guess that in my ignorance I ordered a configuration where I can't add an
IDE drive to the same cable as the SATA drive. Am I correct? That poses a
problem for me... I'm going to have to find some other solution to allow me
to use the 160GB IDE drive I have all my data on from the computer the XPS
is replacing.

"WSZsr" wrote in message
om...
Are you talking about the IDE cable or the SATA cable. The 74GB drive is
not an IDE drive. It is a SATA drive and it requires a SATA cable. If
you order the retail version of the drive, it will come with a SATA
cable.

"Doug Miannay" wrote in message
Quick question... I just purchased a new XPS Gen 3 (3.6) with a single
74GB 10,000 RPM HD. I did not get a second drive since I already have
some large drives here that I planned to add. Problem is since I only
ordered the computer with one drive, the primary IDE cable for the HD
only has a single connector. Is this typical? Can I just pick up a
standard two-connector IDE cable in order to add the second drive?

TIA for your suggestions!

Doug