Old July 25th 10, 07:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Postman delivers

Default Presario SR1150NX -- Need to wipe and fresh install -- HOW??

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 18:27:33 +0000, Postman Delivers wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:22:46 -0600, OSIRIS wrote:

Hi all

I have a Compaq Presario SR1150NX belonging to a friend. I just set up
a new PC for him, so he's OK, but I suggested that I try to fix up his
old one so he could use it as a spare at his office.

It has Windows XP, but so many people have tried to "help" over the
time he's owned it that it's loaded down with, not only the bloatware
that HP/Compaq puts on, but also a couple of dozen freeware/shareware
things and some programs of suspicious lineage wink nudge. Anyway it
would be faster to do a fresh install rather than try to clean up up
all this crap.

Question: Do these machines come with a restore partition, the way
laptops come these days; or do I require some sort of a rescue disk?

If it's a restore partition, how do I "trigger" it?

If it's a disk, what would it be called, so my friend could search his
office for it?

Thanks.

* * *
OSIRIS,

Use the free Dban to wipe the system!! Please remember it will wipe any
hard drive attached to the system - Flash memory sticks, including USB
and sometimes networked hard drives...
http://majorgeeks.com/Dariks_Boot_and_Nuke_d4596.html

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?
lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=426016&docname= bph07145#

* * *

Sorry about the HP link my newsreader "Pan" does not do well with long
urls...
http://xr.com/o97v

Also it is the lower right side not left side for the top popular Linux
operating systems.

Some of these popular Linux operating systems will be harder than others,
but chose a dozen and burn them to CD, and boot from the cd...
http://distrowatch.com/

I like Slitaz for systems with less than 128MB of memory... Puppy would
be a second choice...

These mini Linux many times will boot to the internet faster using a
Livecd rather than loading Microsoft windows from the hard drive...

JR the postman