Old April 24th 09, 12:02 PM posted to comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.arch.storage
David Schwartz

Default Unimpressive performance of large MD raid

On Apr 24, 2:10*am, kkkk wrote:
David Schwartz wrote:
It is the bottleneck, it's just not a CPU bottleneck, it's an I/O
bottleneck.

With an 8x PCI-e bus there should be space for 2 GB/sec transfer...

Yeah, I agree with you. It looks like an MD issue. On the bright side,
I heard from a reliable source that:

"Furthermore we trust visible, open, old/tested, linux MD code more
than any embedded RAID code which nobody knows except 3ware. What if
there was a bug in 9650SE code? It was a recent controller when we
bought it, and we would have found out only later, maybe years later
after setting up our array. Also, we were already proficient with
linux MD."

The flipside is, you have an untested configuration and nobody
specific who is obligated to provide you with support. You're probably
ahead of the curve, so you may hit every problem before anyone else
does.

DS